Thursday, August 19, 2010

All's fine on the Northern front

My long summer of pseudo-bachelorhood is coming to an end in a few days. Cathy and I parted ways in Ottawa back on July 5. Nearly seven weeks later we'll finally get to see each other again on Saturday.

I think there's nothing wrong with a few weeks apart from your spouse every now and then and I know Cathy feels the same way. It's not that we don't love each other, but there's nothing wrong with, hell, I don't know what you would call it...a small vacation from each other every now and then. And I know other friends feel the same way. Besides, if Cathy had spent the entire summer in Iqaluit without anything to do while I've been working (and I've been pulling some long hours the last few weeks) she would have gone mad and taken me along with her.

Still, this is a long stretch even for us. I think the last time we spent this much time apart was back in 2004-05 when she was teaching in Rankin Inlet and I was still back in St. John's. It's just the way this year has worked, what with me starting a new job and Cathy having lots of time off.

Still, to my minor amusement I have had to fend off a few polite, discreet inquiries if everything was all right between Cathy and I. I've mentioned to a couple of people around town that Cathy was back home this summer with her parents and got the "Oh, is everything all right?" look.

I think it was the combination of spending this much time apart and, well, I think around five years is when some marriages start to...wobble a bit. I think marriages can wobble at anytime from two weeks to 50 years, but around five to seven years is when people start looking becoming more observant about the state of marriages with family and friends.

So, for the record, we're just fine. Cathy is back on Saturday and I think we're both glad that the long summer of being apart from each other is over.

Now, whether she's ready to start going back to school next week is another matter all together...

Last Five
1. So distant - Matt Mays*
2. Bloody well right - Supertramp
3. Square one here I come - The Hives
4. All the young dudes - Mott the Hoople
5. Home - Foo Fighters

8 comments:

Dups said...

Not Fair. I get in on Sunday to St. John's....

Chris said...

I suspect TB that the time apart - while welcome by both parties - would be significantly different if young kids were in the picture. It’s something a lot of Newfoundlanders, particularly those who work in the Oil Patch in Alberta, experience on a regular basis

towniebastard said...

Oh, I know. I've said there's going to need to be a sociological study done on the long term effects and consequences of so many Newfoundlanders during the past 10 years either going off to Alberta for weeks on end or off to the rigs.

It's fine for us to do this every one in a while. However, if one of us was regularly disappearing every few weeks for weeks on end, I suspect the stress level would be much higher.

Anonymous said...

Whiners.

It make you stronger.

OM

Morena said...

Working provinces apart for weeks on end is a very different thing to taking a vacation apart every once and a while. Not really a fair comparison.

I think the vacation is apart is great and essential. You know what they say, Absence makes the heart grow fonder. My time away from my husband makes me appreciate what I have with him. We will continue to do them throughout our marriage I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

If you blog today, she should divorce you...

towniebastard said...

Alas, her flight in got cancelled because of fog....:(

Sara Dorman said...

Our family reconnects next week after 5 weeks apart. As this followed 2 years of working in different nations (albeit only 2 hours apart by train) and often only being together on weekends, I didn't think it would be too bad, but am very happy that my prolonged period of single parenting in coming to an end.