Wednesday, April 07, 2010

At the Gardens

It's not that Busch Gardens is a bad park, but it certainly makes you appreciate Disney more. Busch Gardens is kind of minor league hockey compared to Disney. Now, minor league hockey can be entertaining and lively, but the lack of professionalism and sloppiness can kind of infuriate you.

Disney is just such a well oiled machine. From making sure you're always moving when you're lining up for a ride, to the quality of the rides, to making certain there's a gift show waiting for you at the end of the ride, to food consignment stands everywhere, Disney is social engineering at a Frankenstein level. It's scary as hell when you're witnessing it, but you still have to appreciate the craft.

Busch Gardens stores are kind of boring, the food stands are scarcer, with longer lines and not as good. And the rides are so-so. Although they do appear to take decent care of the animals in the wildlife areas, so that's a plus. And hey, for those of you who like to drink, you can buy beer and walk around the park while drinking it. Which I suspect is a huge plus, given the number of parents I saw drinking while their kids were running around them.

So yeah, it's fine enough, but I figure it's been about 30 years since I was last there, and I think it's safe to say I can probably go another 30...no problem.

I know I'm supposed to keep those of you still lingering around here updated on acts of Floridian weirdness, but it's been relatively quiet the past few days, if you discount the whole being about to get drunk and walk around an amusement park. I actually saw someone try to get on a roller coaster with a beer, and was annoyed when he wasn't able to.

I will point out that it is, I think, pretty quiet down here for a Easter week. We're on St. Pete's Beach and several of the hotels on the strip that have Vacancy signs lit up. I think at this time of the year, that's pretty unusual. The stores have been relatively easy to get around. Hell, but 3pm this afternoon at the park it was pretty easy to get around. We walked right up and hopped into a roller coaster without having to wait for 20 minutes.

Living in Iqaluit doesn't always give you the best perspective on how fast, busy or crowded something is....it all seems like madness. But it does seem a bit...off. And others have commented on it as well. I don't think Florida has recovered from the shock of '08 yet. It's getting there, but still has a ways to go yet...

1 comment:

Melodie said...

Hmmm...I guess it's good you're there now, while it's not totally insane with line-ups that never end. I wonder how long before they really pick up again...What do you think?

Enjoy the rest of your Florida vacation. I hope there are more stories of 'weirdness', always funny to laugh at!