Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tumbling

This is a story Seamus is going to hate. He hates it every time I mention it, but I like it, so what the hell...

Back in our days with the Muse the staff was getting all hot and bothered over this new thing called The Internet. This would have been around 1992 or 1993. The staff was getting consumed with email and reading newsgroups. Some were getting involved in MUDs (Multi User Dungeons, a kind of D&D online) to the point where several staffers nearly flunked out.

Seamus, however, remained a skeptic. At one point when asked why he wasn't getting an email account like everyone else, he replied "Why bother. This internet is like the CB Radio of the 90s."

Seamus hates this story because he thinks I'm making fun of his precognitive abilities. I love this story because comparing the internet to CB radio is one of those awesome flairs of creativity that Seamus has all the time. He might have been about 20 when he made that quip, but I like to think it was a sign of things to come.

So why take this trip down memory lane? Because Seamus now has a Tumblr and it's worth taking a look at. It's pretty much whatever comes to mind, which lately has been English football, punk music, blondes and geekiness. He even gave me this piece of genius today - a link to a mash-up between one of my all time favourite music videos combined with one of my all-time favourite TV shows. It is Genius.



So yeah, there's all sorts of cool stuff I expect to see on his Tumblr every day. But there's also this reason to swing by, if my opinion caries any weight. And it is this; of all the people I know and consider a good friend, Seamus is my favourite writer. Granted, there are times I get so annoyed that I want to jam a tube into his brain and syphon out his talent, but most times I just like reading him. The day he finally gets a novel published, I'll be in line to buy it.

So take a whirl past his Tumblr. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last Five
1. The future (live) - Leonard Cohen*
2. Hard bargin - Ron Sexsmith
3. Blind Willie McTell - Bob Dylan
4. Amputations - Death Cab For Cutie
5. Seeds (live) - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

No comments: