Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Now hiring

I don't exactly have the Ten Commandments of this blog, but I do have at least Three Commandments. They would be

1. Thou shalt not invoke the name of thy wife in thy blog post unless she giveth her permission first.
2. Thou shalt, whenever possible, walk away from the computer and think before hitting "publish post" on thy blog.
3. Thou shalt not talk about work.

So here I am breaking one of these, just a little bit. And it's the third one.

I suspect a lot of people who read this blog know what it is I do. They're family, friends or just people in town who sussed out who I am and what I do. And that's fine. But I've never talked about it here and I've given extensive reasons in the past why I do not do that.

But perhaps the one aspect most people were not aware of is that I was never hired on a permanent basis. It was always a contract and as of next month, that contract is up and so is my time with my current employer.

Which is fine, I think. Time to move onwards and upwards. We won't be leaving Iqaluit. We like it here and Cathy's position is full-time, permanent and pays well, three things that are certainly hard to find when you want to teach down south.

So what I'm doing now is looking for work. I'm reaching to friends and colleagues here in Iqaluit to see if they know of anything, but I would also be remiss if I didn't use one of the biggest tools at my disposal, my blog.

So if any of my Iqaluit based readers know of someone looking to fill a position where a former reporter/editor/photographer who also happens to have government communications experience might fit in nicely, then by all means drop me a line. I'm thinking communications or policy, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Between current commitments and the Australia trip, I won't really be available until mid-August, but it never hurts to get the word out early.

And if nothing else, and I end up with some extra time on my hands at the end of the summer, it'll give me the extra time to finish that book I keep talking about.

So no need to worry. I'm not. We're fine financially and I'm sure it'll all work out in the end...

Last Five
1. Guided by wire - Neko Case
2. Soul - Ian Foster Band
3. Thomas and Nancy - Figgy Duff
4. Hello, my trecherous friends - OK Go
5. Run (live) - Snow Patrol*

5 comments:

Michael said...

I suspect the Fed Health minister could use someone to protect her from the Natural Resources minister... In fact, I see several jobs in that area!

BTW, watch for kayaker Freya Hoffmeister who is currently paddling around Australia. She's now on the NW coast, a little over half way. Google 'Race Round Australia' to find her blog. You'll probably meet people who helped her out along the way.

tanker belle said...

speechwriting!

towniebastard said...

Speechwriting would be lovely. Alas, there are limited options for that in Iqaluit.

And as for doing communications with the feds in Ottawa, well, I'm sure the pay and perks are lovely, but I would like to see my wife on occasion, and I think 16 hour days would preclude that.

Jackie S. Quire said...

Transitions abound eh?
I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

nadinebc said...

My husband is looking as well, it is slim pickins' out there. I wish you luck.