Saturday, February 21, 2009

2009 Oscar guesses

So here are my Oscar picks. Here's hoping my picks for the winners are slightly more accurate than my picks for the nominations. For that matter, it's not 100 per cent certain how much of the Oscar broadcast we'll watch this year. For the first time in many, many years I've not seen one of the Best Picture nominees. And hell, The Amazing Race is on at the same time and I think I might prefer to watch that, especially considering how good last week's episode was (the bit with the cheese wheels was classic.)

Still, I'll tune in to see if Hugh Jackman can pull of hosting duties and probably mock some of the dresses. But other than making sure WALL-E wins Best Animated Picture, I'm just not that invested.

Anyway, here are my picks, based on what I've read, momentum, advertising campaigns and gut instincts.

Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actor - Mickey Rourke
Best Actress - Kate Winslet
Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger
Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis
Best Animated Feature - WALL-E
Art Direction - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Cinematography - The Dark Knight
Costume Design - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Directing - Danny Boyle
Documentary Feature - Man on Wire
Documentary Short - Smile Pinki
Film Editing - The Dark Knight
Foreign Language Film - Waltz with Bashir
Make-up - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Music (Score) - Slumdog Millionaire
Music (Song) - Down to Earth - Peter Gabriel
Best Short (Animated) - Presto
Best Short (Live Action) - Manon on the Asphalt
Sound Editing - The Dark Knight
Sound Mixing - WALL-E
Visual Effects - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Writing (Adapted) - Slumdog Millionaire
Writing (Original) - Milk

Last Five
1. New world man - Rush
2. Let it rain - OK Go
3. Fire (live) - Allison Crowe
4. detlef schrempf - Band of Horses
5. Conquest - The White Stripes*

No comments: