Sunday, September 14, 2008

And so it begins

It had been a gray day in Iqaluit today, so when I saw some sun start to break out a few minutes ago, it was cause for some rejoicing. Then I looked off in the distance and noticed the sky around the airport seemed....weird.

It looked like it might be fog. Then I noticed the flags were flapping full tilt and thought maybe it was some dust being blown around, although that struck me as being a bit weird. Then the cloud started moving closer and I could make out the details.

Snow.

So mark that on the calendar, my first new snow of the season was September 14. Apparently it snowed the other day, but I was at work and my office doesn't have an outside window, so I missed it. But there was no missing this. It only lasted a few minutes and it's gone now. But still,....there's your omen. Winter isn't far off.

As for the rest of the day here at the Chateau, it's mostly one of sloth. We did lots yesterday, today's the day to relax. So Cathy's reading and after a long break I'm back to editing the book. The new resolution is that it is finished by the end of November and then send it out into the world. I can keep picking at it forever. At some point it has to go and live and die on its own. Besides, I have a couple of other novel ideas I'd like to start working on, and that's not going to happen until I start to move past this one.

It's hard for me to judge, but I think it's all right. It's no work of staggering genius or anything, but it might be good enough to get published. I'll find out soon enough, I guess...

Last Five
1. Rags to riches - Tony Bennett and Elton John
2. Girl - Beck
3. Proper nice - Joss Stone
4. Song for you - Andy Stochansky*
5. C'mon - Blue Rodeo

No comments: