Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Your topic for this morning

With the trip now a few days away I've been debating a change. Specifically, a change in facial hair. I've had my goatee for about 13 years now. In fact, over the past 20 years there's been about five months where I haven't had facial hair. Alas, my university days saw me with a moustache, something I'm not really sure I ever pulled off successfully. But I've liked the goatee. Granted, I grew it when they were cool and all, but I've still liked how it looks on me.

So I'm contemplating shaving it off for the trip to Italy. Why? For a change. Because Cathy has certainly gently mocked me in recent months over the amount of gray that is showing up there. And perhaps as a reminder to me what my face looks like without hair.

On the downside, I like the goatee, it means more of my face I have to shave (I hate shaving) and, as Cathy will point out, I'm not the biggest fan of change in the world.

So, yay or nay on the shaving of the goatee? Let me know what you think.

And yes, I know I can grow the damn thing back. I can grow it back in about 10 days. I'm just low on things to write about today.

Last Five
1. In the morning - Norah Jones
2. Living well is the best revenge - REM*
3. Step right up - Tom Waits
4. Haunt you every day - Weezer
5. I am a rock - Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew just got rid of his and now looks 10 years younger. I hadn't seen his chin since our wedding. Go for it. Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

shave it!

Have a great trip both of you!

Chris Windeyer said...

Grow a beard man! They're manly, they're what men of British/Irish extraction wore until the Romans came along and made them shave, and they're low maintenance.

(Not no maintenance, you gotta keep the shit under control or it just gets nasty, but a weekly trim is easy to manage.)

Do it! Help bring Big Shaving to its knees!

towniebastard said...

I'm with you, my brother. However, herein lies the problem. If you have the beard and then start seeing someone, that person has made the choice to deal with the beard because they like you.

However, growing extra facial hair when already in a relationship is problematic. It's your face, but they're the ones who have to kiss it. Which is why beards in most cases (including mine) get vetoed.

I would like to bring Big Shaving to its knees. However I fear it's up to others to lead the revolution. But Godspeed to you....

Matthew & Michele said...

The other half of M&M prefers the shaven look. When I let the hairs get long she makes a scrunchy face when she kisses me. So I keep it shaven for her benifit and mine since I like the kisses. :o)

Anonymous said...

Shave it; I've never seen your face nekkid.

Megan said...

We can't decide unless you post a photo. :)

tanker belle said...

I say shave it just to see what it looks like. If you don't like it you can just be lazy on the Italy trip and not shave.

Himself now has a beard. It started off as sheer laziness, he too hates to shave and so he went on strike during a work break. When he shaved it off again to go back to work I discovered I missed it. So, next break he grew it again. Yes, it's where all his grey is, yes, he looks older - but hell, no one believed how old he was before. He keeps it quite short, but it's only a once-a-week shave.

WJM said...

lather up.

Anonymous said...

Beard - the ugly man's disguise.

Actually, I really like hubby with a beard, and he always grows one when he's on leave to make me happy.

Shave away. I'll still make fun of you, either way.

OM