Sunday, September 09, 2007

No iPod for you...

I'm a well-known Mac snob, but I haven't gotten around to talking about the new line of iPods that were announced last week. I had a few people ask if I was going to buy one of them.

Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm surely they're lovely toys. But I bought a (then) top of the line iPod last year. It has about 80 gigs and it more than enough for me. I don't really use the video function to play movies or TV shows. I don't store my photos on it. All I want is something with enough memory to hold all of my music. I have about 30 gigs of music on my 80 gig iPod, so clearly I have a lot more room for music.

That means the Shuffle, Nano and the newly dubbed "Classic" would do nothing for me. Two of them don't have enough memory. The Classic is essentially what I own right now.

Which leaves the iPod Touch. Which is a lovely machine. I imagine it's going to be a big hit, especially in Canada, where the iPhone is not yet available. The Touch is essentially the iPhone without the phone.

But I'm not really interested in one of those either. At least not right now. Two reasons. Well, three. At $450 Canadian, it's expensive. Secondly, it only comes in 8 gig and 16 gig models. Not enough memory of what I need. And third, the wifi if completely useless for me here. There's only one free wifi in town, and it's that slow that e-mail is about all its good for.

Granted, there are several unsecure wireless networks in town (including one in my building, but I'm nice and don't take advantage of the person), but the main draw for that iPod is the wifi.

Granted, that might change in a few years time if we move down south. But for now, I'm quite content with what I have.

No, my next purchase will be a 15 inch MacBook Pro. The only question is do I buy it at the end of October when Apple comes out with its new OS, or do I wait until January, when Apple will likely upgrade their notebook line. Decisions, decisions...

No comments: