Sunday, September 02, 2007

Fall music

So I read this story about music releases coming out this fall. There's a surprising number of releases that I might actually consider getting. I really didn't have high hopes for the fall and Christmas, but there's a few here I'm going to get.

Here are the highlights. And, well, some stuff I feel like mocking.

Sept 11
Hot Hot Heat -- Happiness Ltd. : I loved their last record Elevator. Give me more high energy, insanely catchy pop and I'm there.

The Proclaimers -- Life With You : I'm curious, that's all.

Sept 18
James Blunt -- All the Lost Souls : Because we can always use more whiny British pop music.

The Donnas -- Bitchin : Their last record, Gold Medal, was a kick-ass rock album. I'm hoping they can keep it up.

Dropkick Murphys -- The Meanest of Times : I'm hit and miss on these guys. But the song they had in The Departed was a highlight of the movie.

Mark Knopfler -- Kill to Get Crimson : Knopfler's solo stuff has been very hit and miss. So here's wondering.

KT Tunstall -- Drastic Fantastic : I cam late to her first record, but kind of like it. I'll give her follow-up a try.

Sept 25
Tony Bennett -- Ultimate American Songbook : Tony's always worth a listen. I'm curious as to what this will be like.

Blue Rodeo -- Small Miracles : Their last record didn't do much for me. I'm hoping for a change of pace.

The Doors -- The Very Best of : Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there already a 100 Greatest Hits CDs of The Doors out there already?

Foo Fighters -- Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace : The first single is one of the better things I've heard from them in years. I'll give it a whirl.

Frank Sinatra -- A Voice in Time (1939 - 1952) (Box) : This might be waaaay more Sinatra than I need, but I might look up the song list to see what's on it.

Stars -- In Our Bedroom After the War : Thanks the the miracle of releasing albums on the internet before they come out on CD, I already have this. Not bad, not as good as their last one.

Oct. 2
The Beatles -- Unseen Beatles (DVD) : Because it wouldn't be a fall without a Beatles release. I also given good money that the band's catelogue comes out on iTunes as well.

Celine Dion -- These are Special Times (Collector's Edition) : On the upside I know what to get my mom for Christmas. On the downside, the gates of hell are opening once more.

Mick Jagger -- The Very Best of : Has Jagger released any solo stuff that anyone has enjoyed, let alone enough for a greatest hits?

Annie Lennox -- Songs of Mass Destruction : I don't think I need the album, but it has the fall's best title.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band -- Magic : Duh...

Oct. 9
Jennifer Lopez -- Brave : Once again, somewhere in New York, there is a studio musician getting paid good money to pretend to be Lopez.

Oct. 16
Toby Keith -- A Classic Christmas : Would prefer to band my head on a wall for an hour instead.

Neil Young -- Chrome Dreams II : Neil Young automatically gets a try with me.

Oct. 23
Robert Plant + Alison Krauss -- Raising Sand : Surely God, this fall's strangest release. And yet, I'm insanely curious about it. And in a twist, I'm a much bigger fan of Krauss than Plant.

Oct. 30
Backstreet Boys -- Unbreakable : Just die already. Where's my stake, silver and garlic?

The Eagles -- Long Road Out of Eden : And now I know what to get my dad for Christmas.

Nov. 6
Garth Brooks -- The Ultimate Hits : Has Brooks actually put out a record since his last greatest hits collection? I don't think that should be allowed.

Duran Duran -- Red Carpet Massacre : One could only hope they're the ones being massacred on the red carpet.

Spice Girls -- Greatest Hits : This is being released the day after Guy Fawkes night, but I have no problem giving a penny to burn the band. Or at least all copies of the record.

Nov. 13
Celine Dion -- The Woman in Me : Twice in a matter of months? Now that's evil.


And that's it...so far. I'm sure there will be a few surprises. Hopefully good ones, unlike two Celine Dion records. That's just mean.

2 comments:

Jamin78 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamin78 said...

http://jamin78.blogspot.com/2007/09/donnas-bitchin.html