Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The day of...

It's a quiet September 11 this year, I think. I could be wrong about that, but I like to think I'm a reasonably astute media observer and the volume of stories doesn't feel as high. We were driving home from the gym last night and I told Cathy "tomorrow is September 11." And she looked shocked. It was like the date flew under the radar completely.

That's not to say the event is ignored. Of course it hasn't. I suspect if I had turned on the US news today there would be no shortage of coverage. But in previous years it was almost a week of mourning leading up to the day. It didn't feel that way this year.

(For that matter, the 2nd anniversary of Hurricane Katrina also felt pretty low key. Then again, considering what an embarrassment Katrina has been to the US, I can see why some might prefer to just forget it ever happened. And judging by the US government's response, it appears they are trying to do just that.)

It's only natural, of course. It's been six years and time tends to diminish the impact of these things somewhat. I suspect it will be quiet now until the 10th anniversary of the event, where there will be a great deal of looking back on what happened in the previous 10 years - what went right and what went wrong for the United States and their response to that tragedy.

I don't really have much more to add. I wrote about my reflections last year and I can't think of anything else to say. Other than I think when we look back on it decades from now the greater tragedy will be the response to the event than the event itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's only that I'm watching Spike Lee's doc on Katrina that I realized it's been two years already.

I'm a media junkie and haven't seen any mentino of it.