Friday, August 10, 2007

For the record...

...this is probably my favourite quote of recent days. Courtesy of The Telegram's editorial writers.

New York newspaper columnist Murray Kempton once famously, and aptly, said "the function of an editorial writer is to come down out of the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded."

Well, if that's true, then Internet bloggers are the partisans who stay safely in the hills and indiscriminately mortar the ambulances.


Lovely. I laughed out loud. The editorial sited several prominent local (i.e. Newfoundland) bloggers in the piece. Alas, I was not one of them, but then again, I'm not in Newfoundland much these days, and I tend to write about everything, not just politics.

I also understand there is something more going on here, which lead to this editorial being written, but I guess I'm out of the loop as to what's going on.

Funny quote, though. I think that might go in the sidebar at some point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, Just Brilliant.
Please have a brew for your northern friends.
Take Care
CG

Jason Hickman said...

A good quote indeed, but for my money, the best quote from that editorial was a little further down:

The fact is that bloggers answer to no one - to the point that some blogs don't even allow anyone aggrieved by the comments to post a reply - so, in some ways, they are like St. John's Mayor Andy Wells, but with a keyboard.

Haw!