Sunday, July 15, 2007

Crazy time

I've checked and apparently there's no full moon this weekend. We've got another week until there's a full moon.

Understand, I know that with this much daylight the odds of me actually seeing a full moon are pretty much non-existent. However, I believe there is something to the theory that people get a little crazier when the moon is full, even if you can't see it. I don't know why that's the case, but I've spoken to a few mental health professionals in my day and they certainly dread full moons.

So I guess the recent craziness has to do with the daylight. I tell people things get a little nutty with 24 hours of daylight, but they never really seem to grasp it.

Granted, so far this weekend we haven't had the zaniness of last weekend. No gunfire, so far as I know. Here are a few takes on that.

I managed to avoid most of that, but I guess they've migrated down by way this weekend. It got started with a drunk woman stumbling around screaming "Fuck!" and awful lot, and weaving in front of vehicles. The RCMP eventually picked her up and carted her away. Which I thought was the end of it, until I awoke to her dulcet tones of "Fuck you, you motherfucker. I just got out of jail" this morning around 9 a.m. A quick glance outside indicated just that and apparently a night in the jail had made her no more sober.

This evening got rolling with a fight outside my window with some guy, once again, screaming "Fuck!" a lot (If I could have dollar for every time I've heard it said this weekend, I would march into work on Monday and promptly quit), throwing a few "Whore" and "Slut" just for good measure. There was also an exchange where he insinuated the woman he was screaming at had fucked his sister and given her an STD and that she has also, in fact, fucked everybody in Iqaluit.

As you can imagine, that was a bit of a surprise to me. I felt like yelling out the window and correcting him, but it's often wise to just stay our of these matters.

And now I have 10 year old kids running around outside screaming and shouting "fuck" an awful lot. It's about midnight.

So far, knock on wood, the car remains unscathed. That might not hold, but I really do believe the volume of cameras on the outside of the building helps.

The mayor of town, in the CBC story, blames the increased daylight, saying people are staying up later and creating more mischief. And she's right, of course. It's the sun, not the moon, driving the loons. Still, it does require a degree of patience when things are getting a touch on the ridiculous.

I'm compensating by rereading "Order of the Phoenix" and listening to Patton Oswalt's new comedy CD "Werewolves and Lollipops". Because really, if I have to listen to someone scream "Fuck!" a lot, then at the very least they can be funny...

No comments: