Monday, July 09, 2007

Blindingly obvious

So yes, obviously there's a new design to the blog. Why? Well, it had been awhile since I had made a change to the blog and a bit of freshening up was needed. Also, I wanted to add a picture to the top of the blog. A picture really didn't work well at the top of the blog with the old format, so what the hell, let's just shuffle the whole thing up.

Having said that, I'm still not 100 per cent happy with how it looks. The picture on the top is ridiculously large and my best attempts to shrink it to a more manageable size have only been marginally successful. Let's put it this way, that picture is cropped and shrank to about five per cent of it's original memory size and it's still that large. I might play with it some more or find a different image. We'll see.

And yes, I know it's a scene from the North for a blog called Townie Bastard. If I was better with Photoshop, I'd work some magic and combine an image from here and one from St. John's. But alas, such magic is currently beyond my abilities.

I'm also not completely happy with the sidebar, especially how Flickr and the Blogrolling aren't properly aligned.

Are there any other changes planned? Well, I'm trying to get more photos up on Flickr. I'm not bothering putting too many up on Facebook. My pics are on Flickr. If you're desperate to see pics, that's where they are. I see no need to duplicate things.

Anyway, feel free to let me know what you think. Of the blog. I already have a pretty good idea what most of you think about me.

2 comments:

jen said...

How did you add the picture in? I tried adding mine in with just the HTML code, but it just turned out the way you have it. If you want the old format plus a photo at the top, you need to update with blogger how you format. They actually now have a really easy way to add photos to the side bar, and also to the top, but you must update first (link should be in formatting). If you have photoshop, make sure your image is no more then 72 DPI, and also around 4x6 inchs. The title image on my page is 10X3 inches, 72 DPI. I hope this is of some help!

Anonymous said...

While I love the pic, can you make it smaller? It's much too big for people like me who hate scrolling to get at content.

(As an aside, I do think photoshopping it to have the inukshuk looming over SJ like the Stay Puff marshmallow man in Ghostbusters would be... poignant.)

You might not have control over this, but the right justification on the sidebar makes the text and links harder to read.

Keep in mind, I'm someone who gets your posts from your RSS feed, and only pops over every now and then to see the suicidal writer. Other people might not share my concerns.

One thing I would recommend anyways: list your featured posts, "How to pitch to an entertainment writer' at the top. It's a fantastic resource deserving of prominence.

regards, cat`