Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ooops and word counts

So, I got the tire fixed today and I might owe the street urchins near the apartment an apology. Seems they didn't slash my care tire or let the air out of it. The garage, when they were putting the tires on, made a mistake of some kind and nicked the tire. I have no idea why it took a week or more for the tire to deflate, but it did. So I managed to get enough air in the tire for it to hold until I could get it to the garage where they fixed it. Didn't even charge me. So that's a good thing.

Although I admit that in some ways I miss the walk to work. The weather got mild again this week (around -5 or so) so it hasn't been too cold. And yes, the exercise is good. but I find that I can "write" in my head when I'm walking. I used to do it all the time when I was in Clarenville. I didn't have a car so I'd walk to work. And I'd often write columns or editorial in my head while walking. Then I'd rush to my computer and get it all down before it faded away.

Same thing with my book. I was stuck on what direction it was going to go in a few days. There were a couple of ways and I wasn't sure what direction I was going to go. Then, as I was walking home this evening I figured it out. Bang.

Granted, I still don't know how it's going to end. Apparently more walking is required. But at least I'm good for a couple of weeks.

Today, by the way, is the 15th, which means the half way mark in the writing challenge. I'm happy to say I'm over 28,000 words, which means I'm ahead of pace. the other two competitors are hanging in there and I hope they get to 50,000 as well. Not before me, though.

I have no idea if anyone is actually reading the books (click on the sidebar if you don't know what I'm talking about). Nor do I know if they're any good. I'm liking OM's and Dups' books. But I'm...happy with the way mine is going so far. Don't know if it's good, but I don't think it sucks. And it will need a ton of work to make it coherent at the end.

Although I've realized one depressing fact. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be wrapped up in 50,000 words. Might be closer to 70,000. I'm going to finish it. Stopping at 50,000 would be foolish. But it is a bit depressing to realize that it's likely going to be mid-December before I'm finished.

Still. I'm having fun. It seems to have loosened up some mental muscles. Maybe I can do this sort of thing after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Figured I'd let you know there is at least one person reading what you've written so far. I am looking forward to seeing where you are going with it.

Also have to say I think alot of women wished there spouses/bf were more like you and remembered dates like you do. I think it's very sweet.

Keep up the great writing!