Saturday, November 11, 2006

No words

It dawns on me that the previous post was kind of frivolous and this is a fairly serious day. I know today is Remembrance Day. It feels like I should write something more, but I've honestly written about it so much in the past that I feel like I have no words left to describe how important a day it is, especially in light of what Canadian troops have been facing in Afghanistan this year. The well is nearly dry. Between blog entries, editorials, columns and new stories I must have written a couple of dozen pieces on Remembrance Day.

I've written about my grandfather, who fought in the Great War and very nearly died. I've interviewed veterans of World War Two and the Korean War. And I've spoke to peacekeepers. You reach a wall when you know this is important, you desperately want to convince people to read the stories and understand why it needs to be remembered, but you've run out of the words. I think I've hit that wall.

I'd like to think and hope that most of the people who visit this blog need no convincing or reminding of what this day means. Odds are we've all had family or friends who have served in the military at some point.

If you don't know what it's important to commemorate this day and view it as something more than a day off, then I don't know. I don't think I have any words left to convince you at this point. I just find it sad and I hope that one day, when you get a bit wiser, you better understand why we mark this day.

No comments: