Tuesday, June 27, 2006

She made it

After weeks of wondering if she was going to go completely mad, Cathy has finally cleared the last major hurdle and had her last day with the kids. There were days I was wondering if she was going to make it. Teachers are wobbly creatures in June. You have to handle them delicately or they might just snap completely. I've learned this now. Every June, for the next 25 odd years, I'm going to have to deal with my lovely, rock solid wife going slightly binky in June.

She has one more day tomorrow to clean-up the classroom and whatnot. Then on July 3 she heads back to St. John's. So if you want to see her while she's in town, drop her a line or give her a call, I know she's going to be looking for things to do and people to hang out with.

She also found out today that a new teacher at her school in September is someone she knows and who actually contacted us via my blog. If I'm not mistaken, they have a blog as well (I'm not going to say which one because it's not really my place), so in a few months time there might be two Newfoundland/Iqaluit blogs operating up here.

I should mention this, just in case it's not obvious. I do get the occasional e-mail from people wanting to know stuff about Iqaluit, what it's like and job prospects. If people do have questions, by all means, drop me a line or ask away in the comments section and I'll do my best to answer. It's least I can do. I figure at the rate things are going, we'll have enough Newfoundlanders here to take over anyway in a few years.

This doesn't always mean I'll know what I'm talking about. When the above people asked about the teaching prospects in town, we were both a bit grim. Not because we didn't like them, but because we realistically thought that most of the hiring had already been done and that it was becoming next to impossible to get a teaching job in Iqaluit from down south.

Goes to show what we know.

4 comments:

John Mutford said...

Thanks Craig!
We were equally as pessimistic about our chances of getting into Iqaluit. But lo and behold, we're on our way! I'm sure in the month to come we'll be contacting you two for advice about the move itself (so I hope you check your email in San Francisco).
John

The Mommy said...

Craig going to visist Jot and *not* checking his email- impossible!

lol.

Glad to hear that Cathy survived the whole school year, but I've often questioned her sanity....

She is your wife, after all..

John Mutford said...

1st question: Who did you contact about shipping your car up?

towniebastard said...

John, we honestly forget right now (last year was beyond crazy, what with a wedding and moving up here), but we are checking. Most of our receipts were sent home at tax time. I do recall that the cost for our Hyundai Accent was $2000 to ship from St. John's to Montreal, and then from Montreal to Iqaluit.

Larger vehicles will cost more, as they base the cost of shipping on the size of the vehicle and its weight.

As for OM, I spent a week in the Dominican last year without checking my e-mail once, so it is possible.

And of course Cathy is a little crazy. I've apparently always liked my women a little crazy. Which explains why I tried to date you....

Actually, that was probably the point where I decided I like them only a *little* crazy and not a lot...