Saturday, April 29, 2006

Belated Photo Friday

I was just on my way to bed, resigned to the fact that I couldn't think of a thing to blog on today, when I realized that I normally do something on photos. Of course, it's now 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, so it's a bit late. But better late than never, I guess...

And now, for something cutesy...



This was taken during an Easter event at the Newfoundland Science Centre. They were inviting children down to take a look at new chicks hatching. It was a darkly amusing event as the eggs were being donated by Newfoundland Farm Products. In fact, the kids were given little Newfoundland Farm Products stickers to put on their coats when they were leaving. Many of the kids ooohed and ahhhed over the cute little chicks not realizing they would be encountering them again in a few months time, just in a slightly less recognizable form, when visiting at KFC with mom.

This is just a nice confluence of events in getting this shot. A cute kid looking at the baby chick. The baby chick looking towards the camera. Even the lighting (from the heat lamp to keep the chicks warm) works. If I had more time (or could bother this evening) I would probably tighten the crop and maybe sharpen it a bit. Alas, I can't remember the boys name.

I believe the photo originally ran in black and white. Simply, colour is expensive to use in newspapers. Also, many printing presses (at least in St. John's) only have so many machines that can do colour. So you have to measure out if you want to do colour. Odds are if you see a full colour photo in a paper, there is a full colour ad on that page. It's very unusual to splurge running a colour photo on a page without a full colour ad.

Photo taken with a Sony DSC-F717. Copyright The Express and Craig Welsh.

Currently Playing
Live It Out - Metric

No comments: